Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Surreal Thing


Seeing my book on bookseller sites is something completely unreal to me. The whole process has been something unusual: working through revisions, having complete strangers read the intimate details of my life, hearing praise for the writing that over which I labored so much. And then, to see both the cover of my book, along with my name, for sale is both a dream and an unsettling...something (I know that "nightmare" is the opposite of "dream", but I wouldn't classify it as something so negative. Whatever is in between, I suppose). The next couple months will really be the test. I got a phone call from a reporter with our local paper and I imagine there will be more of the same. My publicist is working on the book tour, which will happen in early April and I know some reviews are around the corner. I think I'm prepared for it, but then who knows?


I've been able to touch base with a couple family members and friends from many years back who have gotten wind of the book. It's really been great, getting advance support and understanding from those who I feared might be put off by my stories. It's also been great to hear of their own memories--of my family, of me...of moments that I'd completly forgotten or had been unaware of. Life continues to surprise.

No comments: