Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Hazy Shade of Winter

I have to say that the death of Heath Ledger has really thrown me. Certainly it has a lot to do with the whole "Brokeback Mountain" connection; when you're moved not only by a film's characters that seem so real, seem to resonate so clearly, it's easy to be tricked into imagining that you know the person. Also, I know that there's a level of respect given to an actor willing to step up and portray a "risky" role, knowing the richness and honesty is what's most important. Judging from the outpouring from fans and colleagues, it seems that others felt the same. He'll truly be missed.

I had my first "review" of my book appear in a local newspaper the other day. It was wonderful to read kudos, to have a positive acknowledement of the hard work I put into it. At the same time, the article did include some inaccuracies, some benign, others a bit more important. There's not much to do about it now. For anyone who's read it: I teach 4th grade, not 3rd. There has been no definitive explanation for why the rape accusations were made by Irene Tusken and Jimmie Sullivan (only speculation) and, while my family was certainly messed up in a lot of ways, the one thing I know they did right for me was to instill a sense of tolerance of differences--I make that point unequivocally in the book. That being said, it was a flattering article that I hope will peak interest to read more. www.thelyncherinme.com is the place to do that...

No comments: