Monday, February 4, 2008

A Swirling Mass of Activity

Sounds more interesting than it really is. If I was in the midst of anything swirling, I'm not sure whether I'd swat at it or crouch to the ground, close my eyes, and wait for it all to be over.

This last week was that kind of storm. Two separate school activities (concerts), piano lessons, an evening meeting for each parent and school conferences. This was all between Tuesday and Thursday. Friday was a church teen overnight (with the teen sex ed program). Yes, it always sounds way more salacious than it is--the teen sex ed group is having a co-ed overnight! Is it like that final jumping out of the plane after hours of rolling on the grass, practicing pulling the ripcord and hoping that the parachute opens? No, but it is a great program. My favorite story? The one in which the teacher demonstrates use of a condom by rolling it over the hose attachement of a vacuum cleaner. I felt compelled to clarify to my son that he need not aspire to such garganutan proportions, lest be be sorely disappointed.

The weekend concluded with my partner and the kids at a dinner party while I volunteered for the local schools foundation wine auction. A great time and always a wonderful reminder of how lucky I am to work with a community that supports its public education so wholeheartedly.

I talked with my editor today and she was excited to tell me that the "official" copies of my book, "The Lyncher in Me", are being released today. I'll be getting them soon. The public must still wait until March 15th, but I'll have a few to show off before then. She says it's stunning, a combination of glossy and matte finish that really brings out the artwork nicely. Apparently, the book received a lot of attention at a recent trade show she attended. I can feel the storm kicking up again...

No comments: