Monday, February 25, 2008

Everyone's a critic

Wow. This past weekend, I got the first two reviews of my book, "The Lyncher in Me." What a strange experience, to read what complete, unbiased critics think of one's work. I have to keep in mind that these reviewers read a ton of books, they don't have to write a full article on my book, and the fact that they chose to--and had so many complimentary things to say ("hauntingly beautiful", "riveting", "unflinching") is quite amazing. Even those few areas in which one writer was more critical were okay. It took me some time to be settled with it, but I understand it's one person's opinion, and one person might value what another person finds unnecessary. It's good. Really! And the great thing is, the review is all over the country, so I can't argue with that.

Back on the homefront: We're mired in a kitchen remodel, in limbo. Our carpenter was gone for a week on vacation, leaving us with a sink and a stove and not much else. I keep thinking back to an older "Amazing Race" episode in which the contestants were to put together a desk from Ikea. After a dozen cabinets, I could do it blindfolded, drunk on a shrimp boat during a hurricane.

No comments: