Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Stimulating Thought


When the solution to a failing economy is to sink us deeper into debt, flush the system with money so that we can buy more HD televisions, Crocs and I-phones, I can only imagine that if my grandparents (who lived through the depression) were alive today they'd, well...keel over. I have a thought! How about taking that $168 billion and putting it into the continued (?) efforts to rebuild New Orleans or the failing bridges and roads around the country. Remember the roads projects in the 30's? I think that money spent shoring up our infastructure would be what they call investment in the future. It would get jobs going, income flowing and, in turn, purchases would happen.


I read an interesting blog posting by Aria Fine, who hails from Minneapolis (I was just there on my book tour--funny...). His posting at http://blog.iamnotashamed.net/2008/04/25/if-we-are-just-giving-money-away-why-not-try-reparations/ puts forth some interesting ideas, not just about the conundrum of reparations, but about a more responsible use of those monies. I love it. Think. Be creative. Be proactive. Here are a few of my alternatives to using Walmart as a depository for my "gift" from G.W. Bush that's on its way:


1. Put it all toward your credit card. You're actually taking money away from them that way.

2. Give half to your neighborhood school's PTA/PTO fund.

3. Make a donation to your local library.

4. Put some toward your local food bank.

5. Send it where it's needed even more, where, for many people, basic food, housing and personal safety are lofty goals: http://www.alternativegifts.org/ or http://www.heifer.org/

6. Put it toward your 401K or retirement fund.

7. Visit a local community college or trade school and ask the counseling office if there are needy students who could use help buying text books for the upcoming quarter.


Make a difference that is meaningful.

1 comment:

Ariah said...

Thanks for the link and your thoughts on the blog post.

I really like your ideas of how to give the money away as well.