Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When Does a Childhood Joy Become a Childish Joy?



I been reading about a possible "Speed Racer" film for probably a decade or more--sometime ago I'd read a blurb that mentioned Charlie Sheen as a possible Speed. Remember when he was a viable candidate? Like, 1987 or something? I kept wondering what a live action Speed Racer would be like and I knew then that it would have to be done just right or it would be a bust. Man, I LOVED that show as a kid. Inspector Detector. Spritle. Racer X. And the villians were awesomely named. Dr. Femur and his daughter Calcia. Snake Oiler. Cruncher Block. Cheesy, yes, but many an afternoon was spent with my eyes glued to the screen, cheering on Speed (expecting Spritle and Chim to pop from the trunk where they had stowed away yet again) as he battled everyone who not only wanted to steal the race from him, but dominate the world as well. Those car racers--it's never simply about the checkered flag. And even though I was disappointed time after time when the film project got tanked (no pun intented), I think the Wachowskis are the perfect team for it. And judging from the THREE previews now available http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811080/trailers it looks like the spirit of the show (some cheesiness, action and vibrant, kind of ADD-ish colors and action) shows up. Some may scoff, but I say, "Go, Speed Racer, Go!!"

No comments: