Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Face For Radio

So, I had my first radio interview on KUOW, the Seattle NPR affiliate. It was great--the host, Megan Sukys, was wonderful about making me feel comfortable (as much as I could in a studio, with a microphone practically against my teeth). I'd had a bit of an idea of how the interview would go. We'd discuss my book, my experience with the journey of discovery, how it's impacted me in my life, etc. I made some notes, but in the end I was worried about being too attached to them. I stumbled here and there and the wonder of editing in the end managed to piece it altogether in coherent way. And that blemish that managed to spring up just a day or two before the interview didn't matter at all.

I spoke with the representative for readings at Elliott Bay Books about this Saturday's reading. She was very excited about having me there and was so complimentary of the book. I'm a bit nervous, of course, but am pumped for a great evening talking about the story. Having friends and family will certainly help a lot.

The best thing about yesterday though was reconnecting with an old friend. Throughout this, I managed to hook up with a buddy of mine who I'd known way back in 6th grade. It's been nearly 30 years since we'd seen each other. As it turns out, he and his wife are looking into adoption--something I know quite a bit about. He's a great guy and we both and are looking forward to staying in touch.

No comments: