Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hooray For Literate Friends!

I had a wonderful friend (and amazing writer) come to my defense after having read a particularly acidic review of my book. "I hate that she mocked your efforts to atone for your great-grandfather's crime," she said. "What would she have you do? Do the research and then say, 'That was then and this is now'?" She also noted that the reviewer (whose own writing, according to several people who contacted me, was clunky) just didn't seem to "get" the prose. I'm understanding that not even all reviewers liked "No Country for Old Men" (not to compare my writing to the genius of that film by any means) and I'm learning to toughen my skin. I think that the most difficult bit of negativity I've read is in the questioning of my motives for searching for the descendants of the lynchings and, consequently, writing about that experience. I've heard on a couple of occasions that it all sounds self-serving and stemming from a need to put the spotlight on myself. I guess I have to just say that sure, I have benefitted--emotionally, spritually--from the experience. But who would relish putting the spotlight on the things I've discussed? It's not been easy, nor does it continue to be. When I write about my search, I try to be honest, descriptive about my feelings, both good and bad so that the reader can understand what's happening. It's not to pat myself on the back (though, it is the worst thing in the world to proud of one's accomplishments?). And the complaints about my "need to show my writing skills": That's a strange one. I guess I should take that as a compliment. I don't feel the need to "dumb down" language in writing. If it's truly unclear, I'd definitely rework it. If it causes the reader to think, to imagine, the make connections that aren't completely spelled out, I think it's great.

Ramblings aside--I put the handles on our new cabinets yesterday. Beautiful. Handles on doors are great!

No comments: